Introduction to Sustainable Financing
On 11 November 2014 WWF organized a training to increase the understanding on and potential development of long-term sustainable financing for MPAs and MPA networks. The overall intent of the training is to help MPA teams take the first steps in developing sustainable financing for their MPAs, and focusses on specific case examples.
Sustainable Financing - also called Conservation Finance or Environmental Finance - are long-term (multiple-year or even permanent) sources of revenue to cover the costs of MPAs or full MPA networks. These sources of financing take many forms: entrance fees; special use fees; tourism fees and taxes;resource-use compensation fees or royalties; carbon or water offset credit sales; sustainable use of resources such as water or NTFP; conservation trust funds; and others.The workshop will provide you with examples of these various types of sustainable financing, and will cover the steps your team needs to take to secure longer-term financing for your MPA or MPA network.Specifically, the trainers will give your team an overview of sustainable financing, help you to understand how to prepare a comprehensive financial model for your MPA, and develop a work plan with next steps. for your team to follow for developing long-term sustainable financing.
After this training you have gained understainding of:
1. The types of sustainable financing and the potential applicability to their MPA or MPA network;
2. The steps needed to prepare a comprehensive financial model that represents the total projected costs of conserving your MPA/network, potential revenues, and gaps;
3. The steps needed to assess the economic and political feasibility of various sustainable finance types and to develop an initial work plan for developing sustainable financing mechanisms.
The presentation PDF contains 6 seperate sections;
1. Introduction to Sustainable Financing (SF);
2. Building Blocks of SF
3. Financial Planning
4. Small Scale Examples
5. Medium Scale Examples
6. Project Finance for Performance